Project Mom is nearly at its end. In mid-December she requested three pairs of brown socks. She picked out the yarn and I now have them all done except for the toe grafting, to be done after she tries them on again. Here they are:


Proper glamour shots and yarn details are forthcoming, after I next visit my parents and I finish the socks.

Then the project got a little bigger. At Christmas she handed me the hat I made her nearly 3 years ago and asked me to lengthen it. This is the original (pardon the bad photo):


When she gave it back to me, she put it on to demonstrate how short it was. Umm… not so much. I had originally knitted it long enough to allow the edge to fold over once to create a brim for doubled thickness over the ears (and I did this at her request) but she apparently has been wearing it all this time with the edge pulled down to just above her eyebrows, causing a huge poofy bunchiness on top of her head. I got the giggles, then asked her to pull the hat on all the way and fold over the brim. “Oh, so that’s how it is.” Yes, yes indeed. This also means her hiking buddy never pointed out how silly it looked just perched there instead of pulled down. Anyway, she asked me to lengthen it to allow for a triple thickness over the ears.

This is what I did yesterday. It sure is long enough now: 


Pattern: “Chameleon” by Nicky Epstein, Knitter’s magazine issue 49, Winter 1997
Pattern modifications: cast on only 80 stitches and worked longer
Yarn: 1 skein Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride Worsted, 85% wool, 15% mohair, color M-115
Needles: size 7
Size: adult