Company came and went and I can say I had a good time while my friend was here. She and I went all over San Francisco doing mostly touristy stuff but also some normal stuff. What was really great for me was that someone else made the decisions: she decided what she wanted to see and I helped coordinate what was best when. For example, when you wake up to a relatively clear day, that’s a great day to do stuff that includes views (Coit Tower, top of Twin Peaks, Alcatraz, etc.). It was all pretty good.

Her visit did keep me from blogging so you had to wait another week to see my most recently-finished large item, the Myrtle Leaf Shawl. Here it is all rumpled:

Shawl_2009_08_09_MyrtleLeaf_preblock

And de-rumpling. After an unsuccessful attempt at blocking the willow border, I decided to run the wires through the yarn over holes that attached the border to the body and just let the border dry as it was:

Shawl_2009_08_09_MyrtleLeaf_blocking

I finished it back in August, then waited for a day that was both not too windy and one on which I actually wanted to go face the park alone. So a few weeks ago I went and took photos.

Without a photographer, it’s hard to get a good photo of a shawl in action. I first put the camera on continuous mode, where it snaps pictures until you tell it not to. This is great for wind because it can capture your item in brief, non-windy moments. However, all I got were single photos with no one in them. I forgot you need to hold down the “take a picture now” button (uh, what is that button called?) the whole time to use this feature. So I set the self-timer over and over, walking into the frame and posing in the 10 seconds I had to do so, and got some not too bad action photos:

Shawl_2009_08_09_MyrtleLeaf_01

Shawl_2009_08_09_MyrtleLeaf_02

Pattern: Myrtle Leaf Shawl with Willow Border by Jane Sowerby, as published in Victorian Lace Today
Yarn: nearly 2 skeins (= 80g, 1030 yards) Artfibers Tsuki, 40% silk, 60% superkid mohair, color 10
Needles: size 5
Started 7/5 and finished 8/9/2009
No alterations to pattern [note: there is a correction posted on the publisher’s website]

Action photos weren’t too great — they are kind of blurry — so here is Myrtle Leaf is resting comfortably on a bench overlooking the Conservatory Valley:

Shawl_2009_08_09_MyrtleLeaf_04

The bright flowers you see in the lawn in the background are in flowerbeds that will eventually be planted with flowers in Mr. MmmYarn’s name. Pretty, aren’t they?

Back to the knitting, although I have just been twiddling my thumbs on the bus lately (thanks to a great new Boggle-knockoff game called Scramble that I loaded onto my phone), I did turn out two more hats with scrap sock yarn.

Hat the first:

HatAdult_2009_09_18_blues_and_purples

Definitely an adult large since it covers Cervantes’ cohort’s eyes.

Pattern: own
Yarn: Regia 4-faedig Ringel Color, color 5073 (blues and purples) held together with KnitPicks Essential, color 23693, Dusk (blue); both 75% wool, 25% nylon
Needles: size 4
Size: adult large
Started 9/13 and finished 9/18/2009

Crown shaping:

HatAdult_2009_09_18_blues_and_purples_crown

And hat the second:

HatAdult_2009_09_24_Reds_grays

Pattern: own
Yarn: Zitron Trekking XXL, color 122 (red, gray, black) held together with KnitPicks Stroll, color 23701 (Black); both 75% wool, 25% nylon
Needles: size 4
Size: adult small
Started 9/22 and finished 9/24/2009

This second hat was a great success at using up leftovers: I have maybe 11 inches of the Trekking yarn left.

Baby Lilli’s parents dressed her in the striped Brittany Jumper for her 1st birthday party (what an honor for me!) but kindly took it off before letting her have at her colorfully-frosted birthday cake. She was well-iced by the time she was done eating cake.

Bye, readers, I’m off to work some more on the Peacock Feathers Shawl I started Friday night.

Advertisements