There’s a bit of a backlog on posting finished items here (again; there’s a big surprise) so today’s Finished Object Sunday is about as big as last time.

Artfibers moved back to downtown in October (yay!) and I went there with a friend some weeks afterward. I liked the red and the orange Alfabeto and couldn’t decide between the two. She suggested getting both and making something with stripes. There was more red than orange so I worked a modified Old Shale with 6 rows of red followed by two rows of orange. I very much like how it turned out. I find the yarn absolutely beautiful, the way it shines in the light and how it feels in my hand.



Pattern: modified Old Shale
Yarn: Artfibers Alfabeto, 76% silk, 19% superkid mohair, 5% wool, colors 20 (red) and 21 (orange)
Needles: US size 6
Finished size: 6.5″ x 68″
Started 11/30 and finished 12/18/2010

Over Thanksgiving weekend I finally picked up Mr. MmmYarn’s rigid heddle loom and finished weaving his last scarf. He had woven about a third of it. I did the finishing work over the Christmas holidays and can finally share it with you.I now wish I had ironed it before photographing it; it’s a little wrinkly in the pictures.



Design: plain weave on 10-dent rigid heddle and Mr. MmmYarn’s color choices
Warp: Mountain Colors Weaver’s Wool Quarters, 100% worsted wool
Weft: Debbie Bliss Rialto 4-ply, 100% superwash merino wool, color 22019
Size: 5″ x 74″ without fringe and 91″ with fringe
Started May 2009 and finished 12/27/2010

There are more Mr. MmmYarn scarves for me to make. We had gone yarn shopping in early May 2009 and he put his purchases in his stash bin (most of our stuff was “ours” but not stash!). I’ll get to them little by little.

The holidays afforded me lots of time to make booties:


Pattern: own
Yarn: 1 skein DROPS Fabel Superwash,75% superwash wool, 25% nylon, color 677
Needles: US size 2
Started 12/14 and finished 12/25/2010

Some girly ones with Mr. MmmYarn’s flowers in the background:


Pattern: own
Yarn: Lang Yarns Bébé Color, 100% superwash wool, color 155.0065
Needles: US size 2
Started and finished 12/28/2010

I finally took what I call “glamour shots” of the first little sweater and hat I designed on my own following a standard 1-year-old size schematic. After 10 years of no one showing any interest in the sweater, I got some good pictures first, because the original photo is very bad:


then I did this, because I had time and I have a taker for the yarn:


Honestly, I don’t think that neck hole would have fit any baby of the human persuasion so it’s not so bad that it’s gone.

For this next hat, instead of finishing off the top by running the working yarn through the live stitches, I picked up the stitches with a crochet hook and made a random-length chain (9 to 15 chain stitches) off each stitch, then did a half single crochet to bind off the chain. This created little curly things at the top. I really like the stripes the Delight created.


Pattern: own
Yarn: DROPS Delight, 75 % superwash wool, 25% nylon, color 13
Needles: US size 2
Started 12/25 and finished 12/30/2010

The hat I showed here at the beginning of January in Laundromat Formica gray/brown turned into two hats.


Taking a picture of one of the hats on my own head was an adventure. I must have taken 20 pictures until I got one that was right. It’s strange how the colors are different considering these were taken maybe 10 minutes apart.


Pattern: own — just a 2×2 rib but I finished the two tops differently
Yarn: each hat took 2 skeins held doubled of Stahl Wolle Socka 6-Fach Color, 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon, color 9516
Needles: US size 8
Size: Adult
Started 12/31/2010 and finished 1/6/2011

Yet more baby booties, in unconventional colors for a baby but I’ve found that every color eventually has a taker.


Pattern: own
Yarn: DROPS Fabel Superwash, 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon, color 542
Needles: size 2
Started 1/1 and finished 2/6/2011

I am in the home stretch on the Hex Coat:


I have several other things in the works. Next post will be about something other than booties, I promise.