Despite this finished sweater’s pattern name, I have a modest front porch and therefore in no way fill it out in such a way as to be officially called a “sweater girl” when I wear it. It does fit me pretty nicely, though:

2012_03_02_Sweater-Girl-Pullover_a_front

As is so often the case, I find it interesting how a simple change in lighting changes the yarn color and here obliterates the yarn’s slight sparkle completely in a photograph:

2012_03_02_Sweater-Girl-Pullover_c_front

Pattern: Sweater Girl Pullover by Liz Nields as published in Interweave Knits, Winter 2007
Yarn: 13 skeins Rowan Kidsilk Night, held doubled throughout; 67% mohair, 18% silk, 10% polyester, 5% nylon; color 518 (Thunder)
Needles: US size 3 and 5
Size made: 37.5″ for body, 44″ for sleeves
Started 3/24/2011 and finished 3/2/2012

Modifications made: added waist shaping, lengthened the body, and shortened the sleeves.

I have no excuse for it taking a year to knit, and it really didn’t. I first made it in February 2009 (yep, only 4 weeks from start to nearly finish), only to learn that despite careful measuring and no problems while blocking that the body was at least 1.5″ too short and the sleeves too tight and 4″ too long.  The sweater sat in punishment for this transgression until March 2011, when I finally tried it on, took very careful notes about its fit problems, then painstakingly unseamed and unraveled it in preparation for starting over from the beginning. Remember this?

Unraveling

After skeining, washing, and drying the yarn (to remove 2-year-old kinks) I was ready to start again. Attempting to unravel the cuffs was impossible so I ended up throwing those out. They look good in the finished product, don’t they?

2012_03_02_Sweater-Girl-Pullover_g_cuff

New gauge swatch got the same gauge so off I went and made the whole thing again by mid-May 2011, when it once again sat around for months waiting for me to seam it. Apparently it takes me 9 months to get up the initiative to sew seams, regardless of how cold it gets in the apartment. I have no excuse for myself except that other yarn looked more interesting and exciting.

Even with my skinny little arms I had to go up 2 pattern sizes for the sleeves, to the 44″ size, to make them large enough to fit me. Which is fine (I have no vanity over a size number). It just means a bit more easing to get the sleeve top into the armhole during the sewing up.

2012_03_02_Sweater-Girl-Pullover_d_front

The view from the back looks like this, and neither I nor the sweater are this wrinkled in real life. Call it unfortunate styling with the self-timer when you’re in the park and nature doesn’t provide a reflective surface:

2012_03_02_Sweater-Girl-Pullover_e_back

Weaving in the ends took hours because of the aforementioned unraveling; I had lots of non-continuous skeins to contend with which left me with dozens upon dozens of tails. The mohair content helped the task along considerably, meant I didn’t have to weave in the ends as carefully as with, say, a cotton yarn.

I think I made the v-neck slightly less deep than written in the pattern.

2012_03_02_Sweater-Girl-Pullover_f_neckline

All in all, I’m happy to have added this to my wardrobe.

Advertisements