The Landon cardigan went fast, the blog post not so much. I’ve been wearing it for a few months now.

2012_03_29_a_Landon_Cardigan_front-lying-flat

Pattern: Landon by Jordana Paige
Yarn: 5.4 skeins Valley Yarns Northampton Worsted, 100% wool, color Lake Heather
Needles: US size 8
Size: small-medium (custom stitch count)
Started 3/7 and finished 3/29/2012

This was such a satisfying project after knitting several projects on small needles. Size 8s just make the work seem to zoom along. I went out for several photo shoots. One time it was far too windy and my friend got my hair either flying up into the air or plastered on my head:

2012_03_29_e_Landon_Cardigan_front

2012_03_29_f_Landon_Cardigan_front

This day was wind-free but the self-timer shot of the back is horribly washed out by the sunshine:

2012_03_29_j_Landon_Cardigan_back-on-me

The one time I had ideal conditions my sister-in-law got a photo of it pinned high up and lower down. I like it best pinned higher up.

2012_03_29_b_Landon_Cardigan_front-pinned-top

2012_03_29_c_Landon_Cardigan_front-pinned-middle

This is my first time using Northampton and I found it wonderful to work with. It feels a lot like Cascade 220. My gauge was spot-on initially but changed after I washed and dried the swatch so I had to throw the numbers into Excel and calculate a custom stitch and row count. Measurement-wise I made a small top half and medium bottom half. I spit-spliced every skein when I joined it, minimizing tails.

Changes I made:

  • Sleeves are worked from the armhole down. They’re size medium and I reduced the number of sleeve increases so the cuff wouldn’t be so wide. I also made them 2″ longer than what’s in the pattern.
  • Instead of casting off body and sleeves and knitting the trim sections separately and sewing them on afterward, I left live stitches at the end of the body and sleeves, provisionally cast on enough stitches on short double-points to work the trim, and joined the trim to the body as I went using ssk (slip slip knit). When joining vertical to horizontal stockinette you can’t join a stitch at every row that meets the live stitches because stockinette row gauge and stitch gauge aren’t the same. I joined 4 stitches every 6 trim rows, meaning when I met up with the live stitch I did ssk from the trim to 1 live stitch twice and then to 2 live stitches once. On the sleeves I joined the trim ends to their beginnings using three needle bind-off.

2012_03_29_l_Landon_Cardigan_bottom-band-detail

  • Cast on one extra stitch on the edge of the sleeve and body trims to do a 3-stitch applied i-cord on the edge, which I wish I had done on the body, too.

2012_03_29_m_Landon_Cardigan_cuff-detail

  • Did m1 raglan increases instead of kfb and pfb (didn’t like how kfb and pfb looked).
  • The sweater starts from the top and a couple of inches below where the raglan sleeves start you cast on provisional stitches to start the front panels. When you’re done with the body, the pattern has you pick up the provisional stitches on each side and work the panels upward to the middle of the back of the neck. If you do this, you’re off by half a stitch where you picked up the stitches. To avoid this, I started in the middle of the neck and worked downward to the existing panel, then carefully grafted it together with the provisional cast-on (see this post for graft details, and yes, I did undo and redo it to fix the half stitch that I goofed). Wow, that was time-consuming but well worth it. I felt like super-grafter when I was done. Here’s my beautiful graft from the inside:

2012_03_29_m_Landon_Cardigan_inside-band-detail

Unusual for me, I tracked the hours spent on this: 1.5 on the initial swatch, 4 hours doing calculations and ripping until I got the beginning the way I liked it (had to start over to change increases to m1), 38.5 on the sweater, 2 hours on the graft = 46 hours total. I suppose I need to add 90 minutes for deciphering my notes and writing this post…

Changes I should have made:

  • Worked it in the round and cut a steek down the middle. It would have gone so much faster if I hadn’t had to purl back every other row. The sleeves are worked in the round inside out so they’re all knit.
  • Shortened the border by one repeat at the back of the neck. It has a tendency to flop a little.

One more comment: for the three sweaters I posted recently (Sweater Girl Pullover, Ode to Joy, and Landon), the photos of me in blue jeans were all taken on the same day within about 10 minutes of each other. I find it fascinating how the shape of my body appears to change depending on the style of sweater I’m wearing. You can see the pictures close together on my Ravelry project page for 2012. Sweater Girl Pullover looks the most flattering in my opinion although that won’t stop me from wearing the others.

Advertisements